Wednesday, November 21, 2012


November 17, 2012
1400
Letaba Rest Camp

Mid-day break.  Checked into Letaba this afternoon after three days at Lower Sabie and two days at Olifants.  It’s been hard to find the time to write anything.

It’s hot now.  It was about 72 deg F when we went out the gate this morning at 0430.  It’s now about 106 F.  We’re all in the room with the A/C running.  Gina’s reading and Aislin is noting which gifts go to which friends back home.

Yesterday evening we took a long and hot drive that was mostly not productive.  We did however find one hyena – a young hyena who’d been terribly injured by a snare.  I’ve seen the impact of snares before.  In 2008, I’d spent time at Mashatu in Botswana and we encountered both wild dogs and elephants with snares.  The wild dog especially suffered terrible injuries by a snare around the neck, which cut deep into the muscle and tissue.  In that case, the researchers were able to dart the dog, remove the snare and treat the dog with antibiotics and topical antiseptics.  I didn’t expect to see a snared animal in the heart of the park and it makes my heart hurt.  Snares are like land mines of human conflicts – they’re cheap to make and they’re indiscriminate.  They are nooses made of cheap wire, anchored to a tree usually, and set about head high for a small antelope.  The animal gets it’s head or a foot or a trunk caught in the snare and pulls and thrashes to break free while the wire cuts deep.  Often the animals will be unable to break free and will die but if the animal is able to break the wire it will suffer terribly from its injuries.  I’m not sure what the intent was.  At Mashatu, snares I think are usually set out to capture animals for ‘bush meat’ by desperately poor economic refugees from Zimbabwe.  Here, I just don’t know.  Don’t know if it’s for food or if this is the work of poachers hoping to snare a rhino or something.  It’s so hard to fathom.  It’s very hard to see and it had an impact on Aislin for sure.  This morning I reported the sighting to the rangers at Olifants and provided photos and a location.  They will pass it up the chain of command, to the veterinarians at Skukuza, and may attempt to locate and dart the hyena to remove the snare and treat the animal.  Animals like hyenas are amazingly resilient and can survive horrific injuries but I’m not optimistic.  They have to find one hyena and it’s hard for me to see them expending the resources required to do that.  An injured rhino, sure, but I don’t know about a hyena.  I just hope for the best for the little guy.



Young hyena terrible wounded by wire snare


Young hyena terribly injured by wire snare

 Our family has had lots of sex on this trip.  At Lower Sabie, we watched lions mating.  Two nights ago, Aislin and I went for a drive while Gina wasn’t feeling well and she had the privilege of watching baboon sex.  Yesterday, we watched giraffe mating behavior.  We stuck it out as long as we could in the heat but finally had to leave them alone before the wedding was consummated….

While driving around yesterday morning, Aislin was remarking about the casual and promiscuous nature of baboon sex and used the expression, “Sloppy seconds”.  I caught my breath for a moment, contemplating the implications of a 14 year old using a term like that.  After a few minutes, I asked her if she knew what that meant.  She gave me a PG version which involved the idea of taking something discarded by someone else.  To my relief, it was clear that she didn’t understand the literal meaning of the term.  I suggested that that was an expression she probably wouldn’t want to use with her grandmother and asked her where she’d heard it.  She told me, “Boys” at school.  I’m trying now to figure out what sort of gun I need to buy….

I want to talk about race somewhere along the line.  It’s a topic that comes up for me repeatedly when I’m in South Africa.  We have seen some bad behavior here for sure and it’s caught Aislin’s attention.  It’s given us a chance to talk about some of the ugliness of our experience in the US.  It’s a reminder too that we’re guests in this country.  It’s a very beautiful country and I see optimism in its young people, but I fear that there’s more pain to come in the future of South Africa.

No comments:

Post a Comment